Thursday, May 17, 2012

Harvard blood clot Research

I got a 2 fer the other day.

I shot this really interesting gentleman about a year or so ago for an Annual Report he and his work were being featured in. Super nice guy and really passionate about his work.
I love that.
Nothing worse then showing up to photograph some one who doesn't want to be photographed and hate what it is they do....
trust me it happens.
but we always make the best of it! Hopefully I at least brighten there day some.

That was not the case with Robert Flaumenhaft.

He made time for us and was gracious and engaged the whole time.
We did a bunch of the standard shots.
guy at desk, guy in front of computer, guy in lab.
no pipetting ...I consider it a personal failure as a photographer to shoot some one in a lab pipetting....
it's what everyone wants to do because it's easy....Now I have taken some nice pipetting images....but still it's more of a drop back and punt situation for me.....

so.
  we did the standard shots and  are done, the client was happy, the subject was happy, Winner!
at this point I begin to pack up.
and.
some one in his lab asked him a question.
well this really cool teaching moment started to happen.
He is explaining to some Post Doc's and Fellows things that are going right over my head....by a big bank of windows 1/2 way across the lab.
I grabbed my 80-200mm and snuck up on them like  a wildlife shooter.....
and I made that image.

best of the day.....


it goes in the report. and I got this cool image because I wasn't limiting myself to the standard stuff and I kept my eyes open.

I remember assisting in the film days and getting chewed out for unloading a camera as we were packing up to leave. "always have one loaded just in case"

lesson learned. I've captured some cool stuff over the years because of it.
enough of the history lesson.
 Bonnie Prescott called me up and asked if I had any images of Robert Flaumenhaft associate professor of medicine HMS...turns out his research is paying off in the prevention of blood clots that can cause heart attacks and strokes.

So I said "Do I ever!"
 and the Harvard Gazette ran the story along with my photo.

congrats all around!







No comments:

Post a Comment