Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Nurses!

Been a while huh?

I've been really busy, which is good in this Biz of feast or famine.....
I much prefer the Feast...though the long hours and stress do get to you after a bit.
So  with shooting so much just about everything I have shot over the last 2 months with crazy deadlines etc...is / has been embargoed.....
which means I have a ton of cool photos I can't show.....yet.
but in the next few days 90% of all that...is being published...either in print or web or both!
So winner!!! I'll be able to share what I've been up to.

well this just hit because it's Nurses week.
thank a Nurse will ya ?

so Nurses have a special place in my heart.
 My mother in law (and most of her friends) are nurses.
that and I have a habit of hurting myself so I've gotten to know quite a few over the years.

one of those nice people called me up and asked me to do a photo essay on  a few very special nurses that were receiving awards for their hard work and accomplishments at a dinner celebrating nursing.
the photos would be shown as part of the evenings award ceremony and be used in several online applications as well. so we set up a bunch of different times...because nobody worked in the same building or shift or on the same day....and  I got to tag along with some truly special people as they cared for patients...
I'm just in awe of what these people do....the knowledge dedication and hard work....nights weekends...oh and then go home and be mom to 3 small children...
WOW.

they ranged in age back ground and specialty.
in the trenches floor nurses,  ICU nurse, OB/GYN(babies!), Hem/Onc(cancer), Transplant, Plastic surgery (reconstruction)...you name it....they do it...and look good while they are at it.



these people MOVE.
one Nurse was the Resource for 2 postpartum floors 20 beds each with 15 bed overflows...that's a potential 210 people...mom+dad+baby, then add new grandparents and every one else that's way more the 210....WOW. so yeah she MOVED!

so I got it in my head to travel super light on these.
I brought a minimal light kit...2 SB900s a ttl cord a ton of batteries a mini reflector, a  few clamps and gels and what not...
camera was the trusty D3, lens choice....24-70mm 2.8.
and.
what has become my new favorite lens.
50mm 1.8 Manual focus.....
that's right MF baby....
if you want to know why...well I got a separate post on that one coming out SOON!

the entirety of this long multi day/night multi location multi lighting situation assignment....
was shot with the 50mm 1.8 manual focus nikor.
why?
look what it can do!




























This is only a small sample of all the images we made.....
these ladies are just flat out incredible and I want to thank each of them for letting me into there lives to make these.
thanks for that and all that you do!
B


1 comment: