Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Information week 500 and a little sweat....







So I get a call a few weeks back.
 much like any other call.

starts off with "Are you free at one of these 3 times....?"
 well sure why?

Turns out the Senior VP of IT at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, one Dr. John Halamka, needs a few "Environmental Portraits" made.
The images are for Information Week a IT trade Magazine.
They have a top 500 list of innovators that they have named for the past 24 years and BIDMC and Dr. Halamka are "somewhere near the top of the list"......

Great...
so .....whats the environment.....?
 well turns out Dr. John...he's a great guy and a first name type of guy as well.... is not only CIO but also a Emergency Room Physician and renowned expert on Mushrooms.

so in front of the ER it is!

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

problem being we have a 1:30 meet up time...and about 10 minuets with him while he's rushing form one meeting to another.

so.... Dave and I arrive early...and check in with Security... take a look around.... nice landscaping and signage.... a few ambulances....and really sick people and their families we don't want to get in the photos....


and 12:00 pm....DIRECT OVER HEAD SUN.....
but that might not matter....  I've been here before...the sun is moving and we have an hour and a half before our Subject arrives....it might duck behind that building over there....maybe....

so we start doing some tests and get set up.
get the frame...light the frame.

 well....this will require a trip back to the car and grab a silk and a bigger flash....

then before I can voice that thought.......my phone rings.......
turns out the subject only has 5 minuets and is going to be there in 5 minuets or so....not in the 40+ I though we had.
thanks for being early and flexible....

ok Dave grab that ipad and stand in!

yuk....on the light not Dave...

lets use the 3 foot diffusier/ reflector that we have with us instead of the 6x6 silk  a block away that will take 5 minuets to set up that we do not have any way......

well look at that.

SB900 on a ttl cord 1/4 power on camera left to fill some shadows.

BAM....

and here's our guy....
and there are people having a issue in the back ground....it is an emergency room in the city after all...
and sweat is now rolling down my back like Niagara Falls....

good thing we have setting #2 10 feet to the left!

Dr. John is Great!he's used to the attention... He just steps up, slots in, we chat while  I snap and then look at the histogram, check focus....

we are done....

WHEW..........

now I'm not bragging here I really don't want it to come across that way.
I'm not saying look what I can do with these little tools!
or that I half assed it....
I was a bit scared when that call came in...and..
when the people had a melt down in the back ground...

what  I am saying is BE PREPARED...

Getting checked in with security took a little longer then I wanted....and then getting 40+ mins chopped off my prep time was a blow....
but I had with me a smaller scale set up of what I wanted to use....just in case....
What I wanted was a 6x6 silk to cut down the ambient  and even out that harsh mid day ((SUN)).
Then a more powerful portable flash unit to use as fill.....etc.

 What I had with me on the scout was a fill disk and a smaller flash and of course Dave.

So that's what we used...and it turned out fine...because we rolled with it and were prepared.....

Here are the tear sheets, contents and a 1/2 page
don't let them see you sweat...even if it is 90 degrees in August in a parking lot at 12:30 pm.....


No comments:

Post a Comment